Monday, October 7, 2013

WHERE ARE THE LEGS

                                                             

I was listening to an interview where Bill O’Reilly was asked about his new book, and how he came up with the title “Killing Jesus”. He said “All of the ideas come to me in the middle of the night. And one night I just woke up and I went “Killing Jesus.” With that title in mind and his history writer Martin Dugard who had also been co-author of the best sellers “Killing Lincoln” and “Killing Kennedy” set out to research and write a book about the historical Jesus. Their work published within a short span of 8 months.

The idea about “Pregnancy Redefined” woke me up in the middle of the night as well. I was startled that his title had been a two word title as well, and after listening to O’Reilly, I felt shameful I hadn't pushed through the pain and continued to write. After all, “Pregnancy Redefined” indicated “full of meaning,” “significant,” “fertile,” and “rich. Wasn't my goal to put out ideas for growth to those who would find some type of inspiration from reading them? Even if one person was inspired by my writing would it not be important?

The idea of pushing through the pain is not new to me. I have achieved goals by doing just that, and yet this writing inspiration was not taking hold. I had just finished reading “The Tools” by Phil Stutz & Barry Michels, described as “5 tools to help you find courage creativity, and willpower-and inspire you to live life in forward motion.”Writing must have been in the back of my mind when I chose it.

I've been on a hiatus for awhile as I felt I had no leg to stand on writing about “Pregnancy Redefined”.  I felt I had nothing new to say to the reader to hold their interest… not relevant, old fashioned, high idealed, melodramatic, sentimental, and not trying my hardest… to put it in my own judgmental words.

But here I am again inspired to write. Our ideas come with that interior voice beckoning us to go beyond our comfort zone, push through the pain and fear, and develop a strategy no matter what our age.

The sonogram could not detect legs on the baby. As a result the doctor wanted the pregnant mother back for amniocentesis. She decided against the procedure displaying her willingness to accept this baby sight unseen. Her heart was heavy as fear, sadness and acceptance intertwined for the balance of the pregnancy. 
   
I had forgotten about this incident when my daughter reminded me of the nightmare she had faced and my response had been “We’ll just get a wheelchair for her.” She reminisced about this as we drove back from a 5K race… That baby, now 11 years old had just won first place in that 3.2 mile cross country  race, a 6th grader beating out 167 junior high and high school girls. No wheelchair needed! Legs in motion! One leg standing… the other flying!

That 11 year old was interviewed regarding her big win. When the interviewer asked her how she won this, she replied, “I tried my hardest.”  He then asked her what her strategy was. She replied, “I started at the pace I thought was good for me and then eventually picked it up.”

I saw many girls cross the finish line that day with a winning strategy to pick up their pace. So here I am trying to pick up the pace to be able to say “I tried my hardest”. Whatever hurdles we have to overcome no matter what age, there is inspiration all around. We only have to believe we have a leg to stand on!




No comments:

Post a Comment